What can cause dry skin
The problem of dry skin affects as much as 50% of the world's population, making it the most common dermatological disorder1,2. However, not everyone experiences it for the same reason, as many factors may lead to the occurrence of dry skin. Read on to find out the main risk factors for dry skin.
The most frequent causes of dry skin:
– the risk of dry skin increases with age, especially in people over 403.
Soaps, shampoos and detergents
– be careful what products you buy. Their main function is to remove oil, but one of their side effects could be dehydration.
– especially fat-free diets may increase the risk of developing dry skin by leading to a deficiency of essential fatty acids, important for proper skin moisture4.
– high blood sugar is a known risk factor for dry skin5.
– the air humidity is lower in the fall and winter months, which makes it easier for dry skin to occur at that time. Additionally, low temperature negatively affects sebaceous glands, which may cause your skin to dry out.
– they may cause, among others, DNA impairment, skin barrier impairment and dehydration6.
– during menopause, a woman’s skin gets thinner, which leads to dehydration7.
– nicotine has shown to impair overall blood flow by causing narrowing of blood vessels. This effect may lead to dry skin, along with other health issues8.
Dry skin can be treated
It is worth noting that while we may control some risk factors – such as bad habits, diet or the cosmetics we use – we can’t eliminate all of the possible causes. Fortunately, even when dry skin occurs, it is possible to treat it.
The new Bepanthen-Derma Skin Care Range offers a unique combination of key ingredients that tackle dry skin on every level, including Dexpanthenol, which address the root cause of dryness, the disturbed skin regeneration process. By utilising the inside-out approach, Bepanthen® Derma products offer immediate relief and lasting moisturization for healthier skin inside-out.
1 Farage MA. The prevalence of sensitive skin. Front Med. 2019;6:98.
2 Roussaki-Schulze AV, Zafiriou E, Nikoulis D,Klimi E, Rallis E, Zintzaras E. Objective biophysicalfindings in patients with sensitiveskin.Drugs Exp Clin Res. 2005;31 (Suppl.):17–24.
3 Gerontologist, 2016, Vol. 56, No. S2, S230–S242 doi:10.1093/geront/gnw003
4 Int J Cosmet Sci. Seasonal influences on stratum corneum ceramide 1 fatty acids and the influence of topical essential fatty acids. 1996 Feb;18(1):1-12. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-2494.1996.tb00131.x
5 J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, Importance of treatment of skin xerosis in diabetes, 2011 May;25(5):607-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-3083.2010.03807.x.
6 K.A. Engebretsen, The effect of environmental humidity and temperature on skin barrier function and dermatitis, DOI: 10.1111/jdv.13301
7 Falcone D, Sensitive skin and the influence of female hormone fluctuations: results from a cross-sectional digital survey in the Dutch population. Eur J Dermatol. 2017 Feb 1;27(1):42-48. doi: 10.1684/ejd.2016.2913.
8 Misery L. Nicotine effects on skin: are they positive or negative? Exp Dermatol 2004 Nov;13(11):665-70
What is dry skin?
Learn more about dry skin, its key symptoms, possible causes and basic facts. Which ingredients to look for in skin treating products?
How to recognize dry skin?
How to recognize dry skin? Symptoms and characteristics of dry skin – How to react if they appear?
Dry skin prevention
What are the effective prevention measures for dry skin? Learn what to eat, wear and what products to use to prevent dry skin.
How to treat dry skin? Key ingredients that will help relieve dry skin
How to treat dry skin? Here you can learn about key ingredients used in products for alleviating the symptoms of dry skin.
How to take care of dry skin daily?
Learn how to care for your skin every day to get rid of dryness and prevent its recurrence. What habits to develop and what products to use?
How to choose the right product for dry skin?
Learn about the right products to treat dry skin. What ingredients work best and are necessary for fast relief of symptoms and lasting moisturization results?
The inside-out approach to skin care
Learn about the inside-out approach to skin care. Find out the benefits of caring for your skin starting within its deeper layers, and what products help you to do this.
A step by step guide for a dry skin care routine
Learn about the best skin care practices to prevent and manage dry skin. What products ensure nourished and healthy skin.
What can cause dry skin?
What are the main risk factors for dry skin? Learn about possible causes that make your skin lose moisture and dry out.
The dry skin cycle. What is it? & How to break it?
Learn why dry skin is a cycle. What drives the dry skin cycle and how to break it?